Sunday, October 2, 2011

Home Sweet Home!

I'm back home... after more than two weeks spent traveling around Denmark with my 83 year old Grandma. We had a wonderful time and I feel fortunate that I was able to share this experience with her.

This trip (for me) was about helping my Grandma see her country once more and reconnect with her family. She and my Grandpa were both born there, as were my Dad and Uncle. They immigrated to Alberta when my Dad was just three years old and visited their homeland many times throughout the years. The last time my Grandma went was more than 20 years ago and she soon realized a lot had changed since the last time she saw Denmark.

I found Denmark to be a very friendly, very charming little country. It is diverse both its landscape and its people - ultra-cosmopolitan in the larger cities, and quietly rural outside of the major centres. It has a rich history full of vikings and castles, and is easily recognizable as a leader in modern design.

In my relatively short time there I was able to experience all of these and much, much more. I also had the added benefit of meeting many people from my Danish family tree and learning more about my Danish roots.

Amalienborg Slotsplads (the Queen's Castle) in Copenhagen.

Nyhavn Street and Canal in Copenhagen.

No comments:

Post a Comment